Exercise & Physical Activity for the Older Adult Training Courses
Our evidence-based exercise and physical activity courses have been developed through years of experience to enable attendees to upskill to deliver fun and effective group exercise and physical activity classes. Whether you are a practicing Therapist, Nurse, Activities Coordinator or Health Care Assistant, we have a course tailored to you! Please see below for individual course content.
2. Exercise Instructor for Older Adults - Qualified Therapists*
Our group exercise sessions have always been at the core of our services and have enabled us to interact with thousands of older adults on a weekly basis in an enjoyable, beneficial and cost-effective manner.
1. Exercise Instructor For Older Adults - Foundation Level 'Live' Online
This workshop is suitable for Activity Co-ordinators, Healthcare assistants, home carers, nurses or anyone with an interest in exercise and with an enthusiasm to deliver group exercise to older adults.
3. Exercise Instruction for Older Adults - Foundation Level*
5. Exercise and Physical Activity (PA) for Alzheimer's and Related Dementia*
*Please note that this course is only available to individuals who have completed our Exercise Instructor for the Older Adult Course.
Overview of Alzheimer’s and related Dementia
Understanding the stages of dementia
Aims and goals for the exercise intervention
Appropriate exercise and activities
Use of instructions
Behaviour that is challenging
Types of group programmes
Adaptations to programmes
Participants will have a basic understanding of the benefits of delivering an exercise programme to this population.
Ability to deliver a Fit For Life Certified group exercise programme.
Credits towards becoming a Fit For Life Certified therapist.
4. Physical Activity - More Movement Training ('Live' Online)
This training programme will educate you on function focused care and on how to promote movement outside of structured physical activity (PA) sessions.
With the use of focus groups, action planning and strategising you will leave the workshop with a tailored plan on how to implement ‘More Movement’ in your home.
This innovative course is interactive and evidence based. We look at a tried and tested model of implementation and also introduce the psychology of getting residents to engage. This includes physical literacy, also known as the language we use.
This course is run live online on zoom. To find out more about this course and how to book your place pelase click here!
6. Strength Training for Older Adults*
This training course was developed for Activity Co-Ordinators, Healthcare Assistants or Home Carers who have completed our Exercise Instructor for the Older Adult Course.
This course enables you to progress your knowledge and skills base to provide seated strength training classes for the older adults you work with!
Please click here to find out more information about this course.
* Live 'in-person' courses are not being held due to covid-19 restrictions but we hope to have all courses back up and running by early 2022!
7. Home Exercise Programme Delivery (HEP) to Older Adults
This training course was developed for Activity Co-Ordinators, Healthcare Assistants or Home Carers who have completed our foundation level Exercise Instructor for the Older Adult Course.
Depending on whether you have your own in-house physiotherapist, a private physiotherapist, or a Fit For Life physiotherapist on your team, having team members trained up to deliver their individual programmes is key to goal setting.
When a team member can deliver a personal exercise programme designed by a physiotherapist, there are elements your team can support. This allows the client to carry out, for example, daily prescribed exercises, motomed programmes and mobility programmes, which help to ensure the client gets an opportunity to meet their set goals.
To find out more information about this course please click here!
* Live 'in-person' courses are not being held due to covid 19 restrictions but we hope to have all courses back up and running by early 2022!
* These courses are not currently available in-person due to Covid restrictions, though we hope to have them up and running by early 2022!
Feedback from live online 2020 courses participants:
- 'Completing the course has given me the tools I need to confidently put together exercise sessions which are appropriate to the needs of the residents in our care'.
- 'The course was delivered in such a way that it gave me a greater understanding of the specific requirements our residents have. From utilising the skills, I learned I can expand on the variety of exercise options available to the residents'.
- 'The course is practical and thorough yet communicated in such a way that simplifies the objectives of each exercise. I would highly recommend this course to other health care workers'.
- 'I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I also prefer zoom as you do not have to travel out of your comfort zone. I feel very confident that what I have learned today is transferable and I am confident to use it in my day to day work'.
- 'Found the course very good – informative, easy to navigate from Zoom to e-learning and relaxed environment for everyone. Would highly recommend to others to complete'.
- 'Tricia was very clear with her instructions and built up my confidence to try teaching a class'.
For more information please click below or call (01) 213 7915 to speak to one of our senior managers.